Monday, July 03, 2006

Serious Study: Immaturity Levels Rising

I wonder if the welfare state may have something to do with this story. After all, it allows a citizen to live in child-like dependence on "Nanny", just as he once depended on mother.

I fear that the burgeoning state in Britain is infantilising large numbers of citizens; institutionalising them so that real adult independence strikes them as a "survivalist" nightmare; something far too scary for ordinary people to contemplate.

Whenever I hear a politician say that "the first duty of government is the protection of the citizen", I fear the protector more than the person I am to be protected from. This is natural enough, since usually that person is me.

Life is not safe. There are evil men in every generation. The government can never make us safe, but it can make us unfree in the attempt.

Discovery Channel :: News - Human :: Serious Study: Immaturity Levels Rising

1 comment:

Bag said...

Immaturity levels are rising now because they are testing the politicians. They are so useless that they manage to drag the whole country down.

Only joking. This explains why we are in the state we are in now.